I’m officially one full year into my health and fitness lifestyle change. I have come so far! I have a long way to go, too, but I am so much healthier and happier now than I was a year ago. I am a better wife and mom, and I feel better about myself. It’s awesome!
One thing that hasn’t changed over the past year, though, is that I’m a busy mom. I work full time as a teacher, which makes eating healthy difficult at times, especially for lunch. I only get 20 minutes to eat every day, so keeping it simple is key. Here are a few tips I’ve picked up over the past year to have a healthy lunch that is fast, simple, and tasty:
- Utilize your leftovers. This is the number one tip I have. You’re already cooking dinner, so plan to have some leftovers and save yourself the time and cost of making a separate meal if you can. If you’re eating healthy as a lifestyle, there is no reason your dinners shouldn’t be lean and clean, so use those leftovers for your lunch! Portion it all out the night before so you can just grab and go in the morning.
- Incorporate at least one veggie serving. If you are only eating protein and carbs at lunch, as you might with a sandwich, you are missing out on prime time to get your greens in! Slice up some bell pepper, throw some baby carrots in a baggie, or eat last night’s green beans–however you like it, make veggies a part of your lunch.
- If you’re making a separate lunch as opposed to using leftovers, make it a one pot meal–saves you space and time so you can eat all your food quickly if you need to! Some of my go-to lunches include
- Burrito bowls–ground turkey with taco seasonings (homemade and salt/sugar free!), chopped onion/tomato/green lettuce, avocado, Greek yogurt
- Chili or soups with lots of chopped veggies and a lean protein
- Quinoa salads–cooked quinoa with chopped tomato, cucumber, red onion, red pepper, banana peppers, and balsamic vinegar. This is a great one because you can eat it cold, so you don’t have to worry about heating it up!
- Ground Turkey Sweet Potato Skillet
- Basically any combination of lean protein, veggies, and a healthy carb works! Use seasonings and flavors that you love to mix it up!
These are just a few tips that have helped me maintain my healthy lifestyle over the past year–what is YOUR favorite healthy lunch?