If you follow me on Instagram and watch my stories, you probably see me posting the same meals over and over again.
I tend to eat the same meals when I find something I like. I make my shake the same way almost every day. I buy the same foods at the grocery week after week. I saute some spinach to put over toast for breakfast and eat some yogurt or some cottage cheese with it. For some people, it seems boring to eat the same things all the time, but for me, it’s a necessity!
Whether you’re 34 weeks pregnant like me, or just someone who’s busy and doesn’t want to spend a lot of time each week and each day figuring out what to eat, keeping it simple helps SO MUCH.
Here’s how I try to simplify eating healthy:
- I create different meal options for me to choose from throughout my day. I make sure each meal has a serving of protein, veggies, and carbs. I spread out fruit throughout the day, and add in healthy fats as well. I use my container system and current weight to figure out how many servings of each type of food I need, especially to ensure I’m eating enough during pregnancy and nursing.
- For example, this is a sample of the types of meals I’ve created in the past to choose from:
- Spinach sauteed in coconut oil on Ezekiel toast, and Greek yogurt with fresh berries
- My daily shake with banana, PB2, coconut flakes, flax milk, baby spinach, water, and ice
- Baby carrots with hummus, a pear, and Ezekiel toast with coconut oil
- A dinner option, like my family’s favorite sloppy joes
When I find simple meals that I like and taste good, I stick with it like white on rice. Especially preparing to have my second kiddo and become a momma to a newborn and a 5 year old, I need to not think much about what I’m eating. I also need to make sure I’ve got healthy meal options so I’m not eating Lucky Charms and Oreos all day long. It keeps me sane, it keeps me healthy, and it helps me continue to feel awesome even as I’m gaining weight and getting bigger the closer I get to delivery!
If you are someone who needs to mix it up more with your food but still wants to keep it simple, you can approach your planning a couple of different ways. You can either create all new menus each week, or you can plan for a certain menu Monday/Wednesday/Friday/Sunday and another menu Tuesday/Thursday/Saturday. It will probably take some trial and error for you to figure out what kind of planning system works for you, and to find meals that you really enjoy!
Be sure to search through my site to find different recipe options–there are lots of meals on here to choose from and experiment with!